Wednesday 4 July 2012

My Singing Friend: A poem

His cage swings gently in the breeze
Now sterilised and empty
No friendly face from mirror peeps
No merry scuffling of feet
As he pecks corn

For twelve years he was my friend
Declaring love for me in song
My house is silent now

Deep into clay I sculpt his grave 
In my small garden
In wool-lined box I lay his corpse
And say a prayer

Sparrows who line the cherry tree
Are witness to this solemn deed
Their cheeky chirps a mockery
Of the pure sound
That flowed from my dear friend

Impatiently with sharp eyes
The mourners wait for end of rite
Hoping I'll pepper crumbs on lawn

My singing friend has gone
But life for hungry birds and man beats on



Philip's Army is now available to purchase on the Amazon Kindle from multiple countries.
Book Number ASIN: B008R7DD20

No comments:

Post a Comment