Thursday 5 July 2012

The Door: A poem

Tap tap
The wind on blinds awake
And filtered dawn invades the room
The door has gone
Dismembered by the dawn

Sometimes the door is blue
It's coldness guarded by a faceless hound
And from within
The piercing screams of tortured souls
Torment my ears

Last night the door, rose-tinted glowed
Then opening wide
Revealed flower-scented fields
The true love from my youth appeared
Inviting me with outstretched arms
A young girl lithe and gay
To join him
For promises of love

Black boots tread
A swishing skirt
A carer rattles up the blinds
And feeble eyes reject the sun

I try to stir unwilling bones
And pushing haunch myself in bed
Where I'm served tea
How many cups have I consumed
In my long life?

After lunch my daughter
With forced smile and anxious eyes
Gives greeting with unmoving lips
And pecks my cheek

She has in tow her daughter's child
A pretty waif
Whose with her daughter
Who clutches with protective arms
her treasure
A new born babe
I smile
As mother offers child for my caress

I kiss the mite and full of praise
Return him to his blushing mum

My daughter talks and talks and talks
Her words buzz-mumbling confuse brain
I must escape
I close my eyes

Has she gone?
New mother asks
Don't worry girl she only sleeps
Let's leave her and go home

A noiseless voice screams in my head
And faceless hounds prowl round my bed
A sharp command and they are gone

The true love from my youth appears
His presence fast dispels my fears
And now I'm overwhelmed with joy

Tenderly he takes my hand
And leads me to flower-scented land  



Philip's Army is now available to purchase on the Amazon Kindle from multiple countries.
Book Number ASIN: B008R7DD20

No comments:

Post a Comment